After sitting in a public KernelLabs tree for almost 13 months, I finally got around to merging the Micronas DRX-D driver upstream, so now DVB support for the PCTV 330e and HVR-900 R2 are in the upstream kernel (for 2.6.40).
So if you've been using the KernelLabs HG tree (which required considerable modification to work with recent kernels), it is no longer an issue and you should either wait for 2.6.40 to be released or use the main LinuxTV media_build tree as opposed to the tree hosted on KernelLabs.
Instructions for installing the LinuxTV media_build tree can be found in the LinuxTV wiki.
27 Feb 2010 |
Posted by Devin Heitmueller | 180 Comments.
When suffering from insomnia, some people count sheep. Others watch television. I ported Ralph Metzler's drx-d driver into the kernel and finally debugged the issues required to get the HVR-900R2 and PCTV 330e digital support working.
I know many people have been waiting a long time for this, and I am happy to announce that we've got a tree setup which can be merged into the upstream kernel, as well as firmware which can be legally redistributed.
Testers are welcome to try the following hg tree:
hg clone http://kernellabs.com/hg/~dheitmueller/v4l-dvb-drxd
24 Nov 2009 |
Posted by Devin Heitmueller | 4 Comments.
With the HVR-1600 ALSA stuff completed and being validated, I switched over to wrapping up the outstanding em28xx VBI support for PAL. Since I do not have access to a teletext signal here in the United States, I have taken a two-phase approach to adding the support.
Phase 1 involves local validation using a well-defined PAL signal source that contains VBI. Fortunately, Andy Walls was very helpful in mailing me a CD a couple of months ago with some MPEG samples that include such info, and that can be used in conjunction with an old Hauppauge PVR-350 that has "TV out" functionality:
I keep seeing people asking about support for these two devices, so I figured I should provide a status update.
Just so you know, they are basically both the same piece of hardware - em28xx bridge, xc3028 tuner, and drx-d demodulator. The issue preventing it from being supported is the drx-d demod.
With Michael Krufky's help, I did get the board working in the mainline kernel and am pretty satisfied with the tuning performance. The only big issue remaining is we need to write a firmware extraction script for the drx-d microcode, since we do not have the legal rights to redistribute it.
19 Aug 2009 |
Posted by Devin Heitmueller | 3 Comments.
I was out of town last week, so that's why there weren't any updates on my part. However, I'm "back in the saddle" and for the last couple of nights have been working on adding VBI support to the em28xx driver. I've got the isoc parsing code to work properly when VBI mode is enabled, and now need to get the ioctls setup properly and hook the VBI data into the videobuf device so it can be returned into userland.
The work also uncovered several bugs in the open-source "zvbi" command line tool, so I will be working on getting some fixes upstream to improve the general reliability of that package...
Spent Sunday afternoon at Michael Krufky's house making use of his DVB-T generator.
Identified a regression in the HVR-900 driver where the first tune would succeed and then all subsequent tunes would fail:
Brought online support for the HVR-900 R2, which many people have been clamoring for quite a while:
A pull request for the HR-900 R2 support hasn't been issued because I still have to write a firmware extraction script. But I did confirm that the code works, so this will...
21 May 2009 |
Posted by Devin Heitmueller | 0 Comment.
Still continuing to clear out my backlog of miscellaneous fixes. Added support for the K-World 2800d (thanks to Paul Thomas for loaning me the hardware and being so patient). While doing that work, I managed to uncover a minor bug in the em28xx audio code (the /dev/audio1 device file was being created even if the device didn't support audio).
One thing I had noticed over the last few months is cases where users would report that ATSC scanning worked but tuning did not. In all of these cases, it turned up that the user was connected to a USB 1.1 port (12 Mbps). For ATSC, that means only about...